Keeping Your Pets Safe During The Holidays
  • LIVE LIFE LOGICALLY

Keeping Your Pets Safe During The Holidays

Our favorite time of the year is here! Thanksgiving thru New Years is filled with delicious holiday foods and beautiful festive decorations.


As exciting as this time of year can be, it's important to take extra pre-cautions to keep your furry family members safe during the holidays. Below you will find information shared from Diamondbackdrugs.com and PetMD.com in regards to holiday safety tips that include ways to decorate your home safely, foods that your pets should avoid and also how to enjoy the holidays with your pet.



Dangerous Decorations and Wrappings


Ribbons, strings, yarns, and glittery silver “icicles” can be extremely dangerous to our pets. If these items are ingested, they can cause severe abdominal blockages, which often require surgery to remove. In some cases, the blockage can even prove fatal.


Also keep any adhesives and glues away from your pet, as well as potpourri. They contain toxic ingredients.


We all know that candles can be dangerous to our furry family members but during the holiday season, households tend to light more candles than usual. So take extra precaution when lighting candles. Keep them away from areas your pets can easily reach and be sure to extinguish the candles as soon as you are done using them.


If you like to go all out with your decorations, you might want to consider investing in a large baby gate, to keep your pets away from rooms that have a lot of holiday decor, such as the Regalo 192-Inch Super Wide Adjustable Baby Gate.



Christmas Tree Warnings Concerning Pets in the Home


One of the highlights of Christmas is the Christmas tree. However, it is one of the more dangerous holiday items for your pets.


Place your tree in a corner to keep your cat from attempting to jump on the tree or dogs from running into the tree and potentially causing it to tip over.


The tree’s needles can prove highly toxic to pets, causing stomach and mouth irritation. Flocking and artificial snow can also produce stomach upset if ingested.


There is also the risk of your pets chewing on electrical cords or Christmas light strings. Using a cord protector such as PETCORDS to protect your pets from chewing through insulated cables is a great way to keep them safe, especially if you have a puppy or kitten who is still learning what not chew. You can also use a no-chew spray such as Grannicks Bitter Apple Taste Deterrent to spray on decorations that you think your pet might get in to.

When it comes to lights, try using LED lights, as they tend to be cooler than other lights, which can prevent your dog or cat from getting burned. Also try to avoid stringing lights towards the base of the tree. This can help avoid the possibility of your pet getting tangled in the wires.


You should also avoid decorating your tree with real food items like candy canes. Candy canes contain Xylitol, which is highly poisonous to pets if ingested.


Lastly, dogs and cats will sometimes be attracted to the water in the tree stand, especially when tree preservatives are used because these contain sugars. Unfortunately, the standing water can host potentially harmful bacteria or pull some of the fertilizers, pesticides, or insecticides used on the tree into the water. You may want to try the Krinner Tree Genie Tree Stand, which not only keeps your pets away from standing water, but also takes the guessing out of watering your tree.


Holiday Foods to Watch Out For


Here’s a list of foods to keep away from your pet this holiday season:

  • Chocolate

  • Coffee

  • Tea

  • Alcohol

  • Gravies or leftover grease

  • Uncooked scraps (meat, fish, and poultry)

  • Bones (meat, fish, and poultry)

  • Grapes and raisins

  • Macadamia nuts

  • Uncooked yeast dough

  • Anything containing artificial sweeteners, especially xylitol

After cooking, you should immediately wrap up any plastic, strings, or aluminum foil that came into contact with food, place them in the garbage, and take the garbage outside. Dogs have an incredibly keen sense of smell, and they will try to take these items out of the garbage if they aren’t taken out of the home. And should they ingest these items, it could present a wide array of problems.


Poisonous Holiday Plants That Are Dangerous for Pets


The poinsettia is a traditional holiday plant in many American households. But this popular plant contains a sap that can be highly toxic to dogs and cats. The irritating sap can cause extreme stomach upset and blisters in the mouth. Holly and mistletoe are also poisonous to dogs and cats.


If you choose to decorate your home with holiday plants, make sure they are well out of reach of your pets or better yet, use artificial versions of the plants.




Relax and Enjoy the Holidays With Your Pet


We can all agree that the holidays are an amazing, magical and exciting time. But they can also be stressful. Remember that our pets can sense when we are stressed and it can stress them out too. Relax and enjoy the holidays this year, and be sure to spend some quality time with your furry family members too!


xoxo,









#Christmas #Holidays #Pets #PetSafety

0 views

©2019 by LIVE LIFE LOGICALLY | All Rights Reserved | Disclosure Policy | Privacy Policy | Contact Us